California 433a and Manufactured Home Engineering Foundation Certifications and Form HCD 513C

We get questions about the California 433a process quite frequently in our office. In this article I will answer the following questions about manufactured homes in California:

  1. What is California Form 433a?
  2. What Does a California Registered 433a Document Accomplish?
  3. What is the process for filing a California 433a?

So, let’s go ahead and get down to work …

1. What is a California 433a?

In California, to convert the manufactured home into real estate, Form 433a must be filed. Generally speaking, the registered 433A is required by the Mortgage Lender and / or the Title Company. Form 433A is a form from the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). Also known as “Installing a Manufactured Home on a Foundation System.”

The California Department of Housing and Community Development requires manufactured homeowners who anchor their units to foundation systems to file a form known as Form 433A with HCD. The form must be completed at the time a building permit is issued. After the installation has been approved and on the same day the certificate of occupancy is issued, HCD will file the Form 433A with the county recorder’s office. Therefore, a preliminary title report must disclose whether a Form 433A was filed.

2. What does a California-registered 433a document accomplish?

When completed by the governing construction division and registered by the City / County Recorder, the form certifies that the manufactured home was installed on a permanent foundation or foundation system approved by California and acts as an investment (security) instrument. for the mortgage lender, the title company, and even the homeowner.

Once registered, ensure that:

  • the prefab house has been placed on a suitable foundation. After this, it is no longer personal property, but real property subject to real property taxes.
  • A professional engineer, licensed in the state of California, has certified that the base has been installed in accordance with the appropriate standards.

3. What is the process for filing and registering a 433a in California?

Broadly speaking, it means: 1) applying for a permit, 2) installing an engineering modification, 3) obtaining a certificate of compliance from an engineer, 4) inspection by the government building department, and finally 5) registering the document 433a.

To be more complete, prior to the installation of the manufactured home in the foundation system, the owner or a licensed contractor will need to obtain a building permit from the appropriate enforcement agency (city, county, etc.). To obtain a permit, the owner or contractor must first provide the following:

  1. Written evidence that the owner owns, has title to, or is purchasing the real property where the mobile home will be installed on a foundation system.
  2. Written evidence acceptable to the enforcement agency that the registered owner owns the manufactured home.
  3. If it is a new manufactured home on a new foundation, the required plans and specifications must be drawn up by a California licensed engineer. If it is an older manufactured home on an existing foundation, a certification from a California licensed engineer will be required; this may require the design of a modification to meet the appropriate standards.
  4. Applicable permit fees.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *